3RD ANNUAL WOKC SOUTHERN POETRY COMPETITION — RULES FOR SUBMISSION
In a continuing celebration of Southern culture and arts, WOKC invites poets from across the South to explore the depths of faith this Valentine’s Day. Poems will be evaluated and judged by University of Georgia Professor of English Andrew Zawacki.
A 2016 Howard Foundation Fellow in Poetry, Professor Zawacki is the author of the poetry books Videotape, Petals of Zero Petals of One, Anabranch, and By Reason of Breakings. His poems have appeared in The New Yorker, The New Republic, The Nation, and elsewhere. He has published three books in France—Georgia and Carnet Bartleby, both translated by Sika Fakambi, and Par Raison de brisants, translated by Antoine Cazé and a finalist for the Prix Nelly Sachs. Zawacki’s translation of Sébastien Smirou, My Lorenzo, received a French Voices Grant, and his translation of Smirou’s See About earned an NEA Translation Fellowship and a fellowship from the Centre National du Livre. A former fellow of the Slovenian Writers’ Association, Zawacki edited Afterwards: Slovenian Writing 1945-1995 and edited and co-translated Aleš Debeljak’s Without Anesthesia: New and Selected Poems.
The winning poem on Faith will receive a $1,500 prize and their poem will be featured on our Valentine’s Day menu.
Rules for Submission
- 1. The contest is open to all poets who currently reside in and have had residency in one of the following states for a minimum of 12 consecutive months: Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia. (Residency will be verified before prize winner is announced.)
- 2. Writers who have published 2 or more full-length collections of poetry or who do not meet the residency requirements are NOT eligible
- 3. Translations and manuscripts in languages other than English are not acceptable, however manuscripts that occasionally use words from other languages are perfectly fine
- 4. All poems submitted will become the property of White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails and can be published without further approval of author
- 5. Manuscripts must be received prior to February 4, 2018
- 6. The submitted poems will not be returned
- 7. No entry fee required
- 8. Poem Guidelines:
- – Only one submission per author
- – 40 line limit
- – Must be on the topic of “FAITH”
- – Poem must be typed (single-spaced)
- – Author must include name, address, phone number, email address, word count and manuscript title on the submitted poem
- 9. Poems must be submitted by email to email@example.com
- 10. No revisions of submitted manuscripts will be allowed during the contest
- 11. The winner will be announced on February 12, 2018 and contacted to discuss delivery of the $1,500 payment prize
Ring in 2018 at White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails with our 5th Annual Bourbon, Bubbles, & Bluegrass. Enjoy the sounds of the Jason Kenney Band and a special NYE three course dinner menu:
Buttered Turnips, Smoked Apple Butter, Pickled Turnip Greens
Suggested Pairing:Sparkling Rosé,Jean-Luc Joillot,Burgundy,NV
1st Course (choice of 1)
Woodfire Roasted Carrots
Black Sesame Tahini, Dukkah, Pickled Cranberry
Salt Roasted Beets, Coriander Lime Emulsion, Woodsman Wife
Fromage Blanc, Crispy Beet Tops
Chardonnay,Jordan,Russian River Valley,Sonoma,2014
2nd Course (choice of 1)
Short Rib Farrotto, Romanesco, Maitakes, Bordelaise
Satenay,Lucien Muzard et Fils,Les Gravières,1er Cru Savigny-les-
Black Sea Bass
Braised Fennel, Baby Bok Choy, Bacon Broccoli Puree
Suggested Pairing: Grüner Veltliner, Domäne Wächau,2015
Sweet potato creme brûlée
Toasted marshmallow ice cream, ginger oat crumble, brandied
Suggested Pairing:Champagne,Taittinger,Brut Réserve,NV
Priced at $55 per person, the NYE menu will offer wine pairings for an additional $20 and a midnight treat to celebrate the New Year. The evening will feature a bourbon and bubbles bar with flights and select champagne glasses. The dinner menu will also be available.
Did you miss the live Chef’s Special with Springer Mountain Farms? Watch it here now!
Are you interested in learning about our Executive Chef? You’re in luck! Creative Loafing had the opportunity to sit down with Megan Brent and talk about her rise to Executive Chef, her mentors, and more.
Read about it here.
Want to learn more about White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails and our Executive Chef, Megan Brent? Don’t miss the Chef’s Special LIVE on Facebook this Thursday night at 9 pm!
Learn more here.
White Oak Kitchen & Cocktails was recently honored with Wine Spectator’s Best of Award of Excellence. This prestigious designation is only awarded to restaurants that display significant depth and breadth in their wine selections. We are among only nine restaurants in Atlanta with this elite award and we would like to congratulate the entire White Oak team for assisting in achieving this goal. This truly reflects what team work, focus, and hard work can achieve.